Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DE Razor vs. Cartridge Razor?

DE Razor vs. Cartridge Razor?

Are double edge safety razors better than cartridge razors?

In my (and many other people's opinion) yes! There is no point to have a cartridge razor that promises a closer shave with 10 blades. All you need is a DE razor & ONE blade. You get more control with the weight of the razor itself, verses a flimsy plastic cartridge razor. In addition, 1 blade reduces that change for ingrown hairs. Less irritation with a DE razor.

GeorgieBoy , I definitely agree with you. DE is the way to go!

It takes a lot longer with a DE razor and because of its sharpness, I am more prone to nicking myself considering I am just starting out. I think if you know what you're doing and have the time to do it, go for the DE razor but if you're a beginner and don't think of shaving as a top priority then go for a Cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB86 View Post
    It takes a lot longer with a DE razor and because of its sharpness, I am more prone to nicking myself considering I am just starting out. I think if you know what you're doing and have the time to do it, go for the DE razor but if you're a beginner and don't think of shaving as a top priority then go for a Cartridge.
    I somewhat agree with you. However, once you have shaved with a DE razor a few times, I think you're less likely to cut yourself with a DE razor. Cartridges you can't control how much pressure you're putting on yourself. With a DE, you get more control with pressure, so you're less likely to cut yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgieBoy1979 View Post
    I somewhat agree with you. However, once you have shaved with a DE razor a few times, I think you're less likely to cut yourself with a DE razor. Cartridges you can't control how much pressure you're putting on yourself. With a DE, you get more control with pressure, so you're less likely to cut yourself.

Thanks for the tip! I will try to give them another shot. What brand do you suggest I try? I don't want to spend too much but I want a good one.

Thanks for the tip! I will try to give them another shot. What brand do you suggest I try? I don't want to spend too much but I want a good one.
    What type of razor do you have? I know you're just starting out. As for blades, I would suggest going with Shark or Astra.

You're actually a lot more likely to cut yourself with a DE razor. Cartridge razors have protection around them that limits the pressure the razors will make up against your face; whereas, safety razors just have a bar and cap between your skin and the razor blade.

Even people who have been shaving for a long time still nick themselves every so often depending on what razor blade they're using. That's because traditional wetshaving isn't mindless like cartridge razor shaving, you actually have to pay attention to what you're doing and focus on the task at hand.

What type of razor do you have? I know you're just starting out. As for blades, I would suggest going with Shark or Astra.
    I have a Gillette Fusion Proglide for my cartridge razor and I bought a 89BL Double Edge Safety Razor from Edwin Jagger a while ago but I'm still getting used to it. I have never heard of Shark blades but Ill look into it for sure. What's the best technique to not cut yourself with a DE razor? Any products that would help prevent nicks? I know its more cost efficient to use a DE razor and get the blade packs so I want to try to convert and stay away from cartridge.

What's the best technique to not cut yourself with a DE razor? Any products that would help prevent nicks? I know its more cost efficient to use a DE razor and get the blade packs so I want to try to convert and stay away from cartridge.
    Some tips for not cutting yourself when first starting out w/ DE shaving:
    #1 - No pressure. Don't put pressure on the razor. It's not like cartridge shaving. It's not needed & not applying pressure is essential to avoid cuts and razor burn.
    #2 - The right angle. Keeping the handle 30 degrees from the perpendicular is perfect to getting the right shave. You may need to give it a couple passes, but you won't be cutting yourself.
    #3 - Short/smooth strokes. It's easier to keep the correct angle when you shave in shorter strokes. It also helps the shave to be smoother.
    #4 - Don't be in a rush. Taking your time will help with not nicking yourself. Plus, it's a fun thing to do, so why wouldn't you want it to last?

As for products to help prevent cuts, use pre-shave oils or lotions. This helps the skin become well moisturized & less likely to be cut or irritated.