Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Aftershave Advice

Yes I agree with the Admin. All of the steps leading up to your post shave routine are extremely important. Do you use a double edged safety razor? or a cartridge razor?

Quote Originally Posted by OnCollinsAve View Post
    I've been experiencing similar things. Irritation and redness. I use Gilette vibrating razor and shaving cream. Any tips on how to help this? Besides aftershave.
    Well first of all I would definitely recommend switching over to a double edge safety razor. There is a big misconception that more blades= a better shave. It will take some time and experience to get used to a double edge safety razor but you will find that once you master the technique, the shaving irritation you are experiencing will be significantly reduced. I would recommend starting off with a Merkur 34c. Keep in mind that when you start out you want to make sure you are applying no pressure. Let the razor do the work for you. I used to get a lot of ingrown hairs on my neck and since i've made the switch my skin has improved tremendously.

What kind of shaving cream are you using? If you're using a Gilette vibrating razor, I'm guessing you use canned shave gel?

Shave prep- steam hot water on my face and shaving cream
    Actual shave - Gilette Razor
    Post-shave - moisturizer

I think maybe you should try out a safety razor instead of an electric razor. I know Mule has a really great double edge safety razor line. I use my NR. R 41 for special occasions because I know it'll give me a close shave and no irritation/bumps. Also, you may want to look into different shave techniques so you can avoid those issues, it took me a while to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Splash aftershaves have alcohol, balms are alcohol free.

Some people gotta have the burn!

If you want to get more detail on the differences, look at this blog post we made: http://www.luxurybarber.com/blog/alc...e-aftershaves/
    Some balms have alcohol in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lberg12 View Post
    Shave prep- steam hot water on my face and shaving cream
    Actual shave - Gilette Razor
    Post-shave - moisturizer
    If you take out the Gilette and use a safety Razor like Merkur 34C, you will get less bumps.

Have you tried using a preshave oil? It's not completely necessary but it may help. I would also recommend trying an aftershave balm. Pre de Provence aftershave balm is a personal favorite of mine. The shea butter is very moisturizing and soothing on the skin.

Balm is the best.

I use the St James of London pre-shave oil and post shave balm. Lastly, I'll often use just a touch of Man Cave Moisturizer - really good stuff, a bit thick but really luxurious.