Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shave before or after?

shave before or after?

So I'm curious about my other shave bud and what they prefer, shave before showering or shave after or just apply pre shave. whats your shave way? i prefer shower then shave and then a nice menthol after shave to cool things down so what do you guys like?

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    So I'm curious about my other shave bud and what they prefer, shave before showering or shave after or just apply pre shave. whats your shave way? i prefer shower then shave and then a nice menthol after shave to cool things down so what do you guys like?
    For decades, I shaved in the shower, regardless of where i lived. There was always a mirror or two in the shower.

I moved to Taiwan around three years ago. No mirror and convenient way to set one up.

I am a straight shaver. So I changed my routine and began to shave first in the sink and shower later.

I'd change that if I have a chance.

I always shave after my shower. The only thing I do before the shower is trim the part of my beard that I won't be shaving off completely after the shave. Trimming after the shower is hard because the wet hair clogs up in the trimmer.

The biggest reason I shave after the shower is so I can heat up my face and moisturize as much as possible prior to shaving. (I really avoid using hand/body soap on my face for this reason).

I shave before my shower. This allows for my pores to really be opened up and I have a fresh face right out of the shower.

Quote Originally Posted by Lberg12 View Post
    I shave before my shower. This allows for my pores to really be opened up and I have a fresh face right out of the shower.
    Lberg, it's a common misconception that pores open and close.

Heating up the skin with hot water or steam doesn't have any effect on the size of your pores, but it does help loosen all the debris and sebum that are clogging them up. Heat is simply an effective way of cleaning out pores.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Lberg, it's a common misconception that pores open and close.

Heating up the skin with hot water or steam doesn't have any effect on the size of your pores, but it does help loosen all the debris and sebum that are clogging them up. Heat is simply an effective way of cleaning out pores.
    Thanks, didn't know that.

It depends if I'm doing a big shave or not. If I have a lot to lose, I shave before my shower. If it's just a daily touch up, I usually shave afterwards.

I prefer shaving after my shower because I feel that being in the shower for the full length of time really ensures that my hairs are nice and softened up before my shave. Makes the ol' beard a little bit easier to tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    I like to shave in my shower and have a special mirror for it.

I always do it after the shower, just feels right, my dad always did it that way and so did my gramps. in the shower doesn't sound bad but i like really hot showers and the mirror always gets steamy. i like to see my face clearly to shave.