Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any suggestions for my first safety razor?

any suggestions for my first safety razor?

So I have been using a cartridge razor since I could start shaving but now it's starting to give me a fair amount of irritation, especially around my neck. After doing some research a lot of shavers swear by a DE safety razor for reducing irritation, so I think I'm finally ready to switch over and give it a try but I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

You are in the right place, but its not just the razor. It also has to do with finding the right soft ware ( shaving Cream, aftershave , Preshave... ).
    A great razor for starters would be the Merkur 180 Long handle, Muhle and Edwin Jagger are great as well.

okay great! Thanks for the help DavidRL. Is there any "soft ware" you would recommend for sensitive skin??

I always recommend the Merkur 34c to people who are just starting out. It's a mild razor which makes it more forgiving when you're starting out. After that I always like to tell people to give slants and adjustables a try.

New Member 0-30 Posts
    34c may be good. Any vintage Gillette I used to say but prices have increased a bit on them in the last year.
    I started with a 38c. Was nice but the knurling on the handle would cause me to inadvertently unscrew the razor whilst in use. So, yes, 34c.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodydude View Post
    okay great! Thanks for the help DavidRL. Is there any "soft ware" you would recommend for sensitive skin??

Soap commander has this scent called Integrity. If you're good with menthol, it's good for sensitive skin. It's fragrance free.
    Last edited by GeorgieBoy1979; 09-19-2014 at 12:33 PM.

I love the Soap Commander Courage Shave Cream, amazing! just tried it out last week and couldn't believe how great my face felt. That a good one to try. and i agree with the 34C also being a great first Razor. Other great shave creams for starters would be Taylor of old Bond. they have a large variety of scents that can be appealing to anyone.

Merkur 34C, Edwin Jagger DE89, RazoRock Misson, Muhle 89 or vintage gillette razors. All of these are relatively mild and are nice choices for new wetshavers.
    Wetshaving Video Blogger & Evangelist of Traditional Shaving
    Youtube - Twitter - Facebook - Instagram

Merkur 34C. Software, better to start off with the TOBS.

I started with the Merkur 34C and loved it. I have made the big jump to straight razors and enjoying the results that can only be obtained using a straight. I do not get razor bumps or ingrown hairs anymore either. Any razor you get first, get a sample pack of blades and see what works best with the razor you buy and your beard. Good luck and I know you will enjoy the experience.