Thread: Creams or soaps Boar or Badger

Creams or soaps Boar or Badger

Do you have any experience in what is best to use for saving with. Be it a cream or soap and the correct style of brush to go with it. Help would be most grateful. Many thanks.

Shaving Brush / Creams / Oil / Balm / Razor

Quote Originally Posted by CARL999 View Post
    Do you have any experience in what is best to use for saving with. Be it a cream or soap and the correct style of brush to go with it. Help would be most grateful. Many thanks.
    Quick basics - use a pre shave oil on face. A couple drops of oil with your lather soap / brush. A post shave balm.
    I used a mug, cheap brush and soap on and off for some years. Later went with badger brush and then boar. I like them both. The badger is well broken in, very pliable and gives a comfortable shave. The boar is stiffer, much more of an exfoliating shave. I use them both, the badger more often. Whichever I use, they soak for about 3 minutes in hot water before giving them a shake and lathering the brush. As for soaps, I used the one in my mug, Williams, but moved to Cremo Cream, much of an improvement. Then to Proraso (green), which I still use weekly. My current favorite is Taylor of Old Bond Street, pretty much daily use. Stopped the mug and started either a dab in my hand or right to the brush. In each case I use a drop or two of oil with my brush, usually Argan but Rosemarie as well, I have a couple of different "beard oils" and will sometimes use one of those. It gives the lather a more "latex" like creaminess. I also use the argan oil, two drops, on my razor blade after shaving to preserve the blade. After lathering up I'll squeeze the brush between my thumb & forefinger getting a small "pile" of really rich cream that I use on more sensitive parts of my face, after doing that a few times, the brush is practically clean and only needs a rinse.
    I have a Stirling Soap, maybe from Luxury Barber (?), that I haven't tried yet.
    I use the St James of London pre-shave oil and post shave balm. Lastly, I'll often use just a touch of Man Cave Moisturizer - really good stuff, a bit thick but really luxurious.
    I also like the Proraso after shave balm, has a bit of that old noxema smell, it's lighter and I often put some on mid day or evening before retiring.
    Sure there's more products out there that work great, that's part of the reason behind my Luxury Box purchases- to get some exposure to what works best for me.
    You didn't ask but... I'm not a fan of either the single edge or double edge safety razor - they are very interesting, mechanical, romantic but I don't think they give great shave, certainly not when the risk of nick or cut is taken into consideration. The four, five and six blade units are all okay but require rinsing after each stroke so I prefer the three blade - Dorco USA can't be beat on price. I've always liked the Mach3 and the ability to find a better handle but the blade cost is silly. Hope this helped.

Many thanks Cobra54. It's only when you really start to look deep into this wonderful shaving world that i have had a massive realisation of how confusing this market is with thousands upon thousands of products out there the world over. Your advice has been very valuable to me and many thanks again mate.

Thanks for your help I got a straight answer on what I was looking for thanks